Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Self publishing: the grand adventure begins

I’ve been working on becoming a published novelist for just under a year, and I’ve now collected enough wisdom, guidance and rejection letters to assess where I am on this journey.  According to the feedback I have the talent, I just haven’t quite channeled that unique combination of language, style and prose that will unlock the publishing house gates. It’s a magical, mysterious ideal that may require me to sell a few limbs, sacrifice a bookworm or three, and possibly go on a perilous quest, but I’ll figure it out eventually.


I’m about to take everything I’ve been given in the way of feed back and critiques and try changing up my style a bit, do something new, and see how it goes. But before I do that, I’ve decided to take a shot at self publishing the novels I have.

That simple decision has lead to a crash course in things I never knew about, including bisac numbers, ISBN numbers, and TIN’s.  Who knew that being a writer meant dealing with so many damnable numbers?  Bisacs are how the book store knows “what” your story is, carefully classified.  ISBN’s are the numbers each book needs to have in order to be catalogued, and a TIN? Well that’s the Tax Identification Number we non-American types need in order to publish through Amazon without watching the IRS hold back 30% of our earnings. Yeouch, definitely need one of those!

It’s going to take me a while, but I intend to self publish Alistair’s Bed soon, and likely it’ll be followed up by the sequel, Malyk’s Sanctuary. Consider that my official announcement, with follow ups coming as I progress down this path. There’s formatting to do, a cover to design, numbers to acquire, and a whole lot of research regarding pricing and advertising, but I’m on the path now, and we’ll see where it takes me.

I’m not giving up on getting published by a “real” publishing house, but there’s nothing in the rules that says you can’t do both. So cross your fingers and stay tuned, someday soon my romantic erotica is hitting a website near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment