Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why do I write?

The other day a thread appeared in the writer’s forum on Cracked,  a place where I lurk quite often.  The thread was simply titled: “Why do you write?”  and the answers by all the writers, were a fascinating study in what makes us: the writers, authors, scribes and wordsmiths  of the world, do what we do. 

I added my own thoughts to that thread, and I decided I’d share them here too.

When I was a child, I wrote because I had thoughts and ideas that I wanted to express, but it took me time to find the words and to organize my thoughts. I couldn't say it right, but given time, I could write what I really meant to say.

When I was a teenager, I wrote because if I said out loud half the things that were in my thoughts, my parents would have worried about me more than they already did.

When I was in my twenties, I wrote because I finally had the time to put all the stories that had been running around my head into context, and write them in a way that was not entirely embarrassing.

When I was in my thirties, I wrote because I loved to do it. Then I discovered Cracked and someone actually paid me to write, and a whole new world opened.

Now I am in my forties and I write because I love it. It's part of my daily life and if I don't write at least a few words, a scrap of a new idea,  or a fragment of a tale every day, then I get twitchy and feel out of sorts. It's my drug of choice, and I hope I never have to give it up.

Writing lets me explore my world and my mind and then share it with the rest of the world. It's cheap therapy, exhibitionist lunacy and the hardest thing I've ever done.

I write because I was born with a muse whispering in my ear, and writing is the only way I can get her to stop, if only for a little while.


*****

If you want to read what other's had to say,  the link is below:

Read more: Why do you write? | Writers and Readers | Cracked.com Forums http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/111355/why-do-you-write/20#ixzz24Df7gstK

No comments:

Post a Comment