Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Once more into the fray

Onwards and upwards. No rest for the wicked. Pitter Patter lets get at her. Pick your own phrase to insert here.  Whatever the motivational expression, they all mean the same thing, my muse and I are now committed to writing my next book, and neither of us are sure just how to start.


I should probably go back a bit here and mention that while I’ve been signing contracts and editing the manuscript for Whispers, I’ve also managed to write another paranormal romance. The one my <a href="http://bzorch.ca/BZblogs//index.php/Capricia/2012/08/28/my-muse-has-declared-a">muse</a> was not keen to finish. It actually ended up being longer than expecting, coming in at more than 3000 words over what I targeted for and only a day off deadline. No rest for the wicked indeed.  I’ve tried to apply everything I’ve learned from Whispers to what for now I will simply refer to as “novel #1 in my new series,” and I’m pretty pleased with it. However, in order for it to be an actual series, I really do need a second book. And thus the title of this post is now explained.

The thing about a book series is that I already have at least some of the characters cast already. Names have been named. Locations have been chosen. Personalities have been described. This makes things both easier, and harder. At least that’s been my experience so far. I knew who would be the subject of the second book the moment he appeared in the first one, and as I finished putting the finishing polish on that first book, he and his leading lady were bouncing around my head, shouting for my attention and planning their plotlines. And they stayed that way, noisy and ever present, until the moment I opened a new document and stared at the blank page in front of me.  Poof. Silence.

I distracted myself with some research into a few paranormal elements I’d need later, and waited for my heroine and her hero to reappear. They didn’t. I compiled a master list of character names, locations and other information to reference throughout the series, and still they stayed quiet. Finally I decided to quit waiting for them to help me out and started writing without them. Avoiding a blank page is no way to get a book finished, or in this case, it’s no way to get a book started. 

 Four hours of writer’s block and professional levels of procrastination later I think I have defeated the blank page problem, at least for now. 709 words down, 40,000 or so to go. Anyone who says that writing for a living is easy, has never actually tried to do it. If you need me I’ll be at my computer, trying to avoid any more blank pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment