Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sometimes my muse surprises me - Or the time I learned that creativity can be reality-proof

This week I learned that there are some things that really don’t bother my muse. Things that I always figured would have thrown at least one of us for enough of a loop we couldn’t put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) to write romance for at least a few days.  Turns out, I was wrong.


Now, I’ve previously talked about muse strikes and writer’s block, but this week brought a few new things to the table. Like food poisoning.  A reasonably tasty Sunday brunch seems to be wreaking some sort of digestive revenge, and I’ve been a somewhat pale, queasy, lack luster version of myself since late Sunday afternoon. Not sick enough to call in sick, or take to my bed, or even garner much in the way of sympathy, but not well either.  All I’ve managed to eat in the past 24 hours are a half dozen dry crackers, water and herbal tea, which means that if there’s any sort of justice in the world I’ll at least lose half a pound when this is all said and done.

Though my energy level was certainly less than stellar, I’ve still managed to hit my 2000 word/day targets. My WIP (work in progress) is coming along nicely and I should have it finished by the end of the month at this rate. The only hitch came when I came to a passage where I knew that my lovebirds were going out for dinner. A dinner I had planned to describe in succulent detail. Needless to say, that got skipped. One glance at the menus I had researched had my stomach flip flopping in queasy protest.

The other thing that came about was my relationship status changed back to single. I hadn’t mentioned it, but I’d been happily dating a fellow I thought might be a “good un” for the past few months. As it turns out, I was very much mistaken about just how good he actually was. When we first came to the first speed bump on the relationship road he bailed faster than a paratrooper who discovers his plane is on fire.  I got dumped. By text message no less, a very classy move to say the least.  Now, I naturally assumed that having just required Hagen-Das therapy, I wouldn’t be writing for a few days.  Instead, I discovered that not only am I happily writing, I’ve even had inspiration for yet another series that came to me so vividly I had to stop writing to jot down the ideas before they vanished on me.

It’s been a productive few days despite the food poisoning and the relationship train wreck. My muse and I are tougher than I knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment