Friday, October 26, 2012

A very special moment

I work in a very small office for a family business. Over the six years I've been here, I've come to think of them as extended family. This morning I got to meet the newest addition to my work 'family.'


He was born fifteen hours ago, weighs in at 8 lbs and has a full head of hair already. After I held him in my arms, I got to watch as their youngest daughter met her brother for the first time. It was a moment I'll never forget.

It took her ten more minutes to decide that what her little brother needed for breakfast was a handful of jelly beans. She's still not convinced he doesn't eat candy yet, but she's willing to eat his share. Just for now. I didn't have the heart to tell her that in a few years she'd likely be trying to hit him with the entire jelly bean jar. Just like her older sister does to her.

For now, she thinks her brother is wonderful. Sibling rivalry and open hostilities are still in their future, but for now, there's peace. Today was the beginning of a life long bond that will change the rest of her life. As an older sister, I wish her luck.  She's going to need it.




No comments:

Post a Comment