Monday, November 26, 2012

Christmas is when?!

This weekend I was talking to my mum, and we were trying to organize up our schedules for a visit. You see, my parents retired because work was getting in the way of their real life...and tracking them down is no small task. We were looking for a Sunday they'd both be home, and my mother said "well, I'm booked the 2nd and the 16th, but there's other weekends."  I glanced at my calendar again and burst out laughing into the phone. "Mom, the weekend after that is CHRISTMAS."  How the hell did that happen?

That conversation sums up the way I feel about the speed this year flew by. There's frost on the ground outside, and the office fireplace is blazing cheerfully, but somehow I'm quite convinced that it was summer only a few days ago.

2012 has been an amazing year, full of all sorts of wonderful moments and a few I'd like to never recall again, but isn't every year like that? Most years the good outweight the bad, and the laughter to tears ratio is slanted towards the good times instead of the dark. Time flies by, and as the year starts winding to a close I'm sure everyone spends a moment or three wondering where the days went. I know I am.

This weekend I abandoned all attempts to write and went out to play instead. I watched Skyfall and lost myself in one of the most enjoyable movies I've seen this year, and then there was a dinner of Peking Duck and other tasty dishes to celebrate a friend's birthday. I watched moonrise over the ocean while sipping a coffee that kept me up far too late last night, and I managed to ignore nearly half the things on my "to do" list while I went out and ticked a few things off my "just because" list instead. It was a good weekend.

We've only got a few weeks left in this year, so if there's anything fun you've been putting off, now's the time to indulge yourself. If the wacko's are right and we're all destined for Armageddon in a few weeks, which is going to be more important, the laundry or getting to stand on a frosty beach, watching the moonrise?


No comments:

Post a Comment