Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Insidious Christmas Creep

Well, it got me. As I was trying to make my bed around my Siamese just a few minutes ago, I caught myself humming  a Christmas carol.   I've become yet another victim of the Christmas Creep.

It happens every year. The Halloween costumes jostling for space beside the first holiday offerings. Candy mixed in with candles, jack-lanterns grinning at velveteen Santa Clauses by the dozen. What chance do we have at keeping Christmas caged within the confines of December when we're bombarded by holiday imagery before the leaves have even finished falling from the trees?

I just popped out of my condo to toss my laundry in the dryer, and lo and behold, my neighbour's door is now decorated with a wreath. Yet more evidence that the holiday madness is here. I suppose I would be wise to simply accept the inevitable now. I should go drag the lights out from the closet and hang them next weekend. Blow the dust off my Yule tree, and start gathering up the makings for fudge and other holiday goodies.

But before I do that, I'll hit Starbucks and grab myself a peppermint mocha. They came out more than a week ago... *sighs* 

No comments:

Post a Comment