Friday, November 16, 2012

Thursday Threads Honorable Mention



I picked up at HM for my flash fic over at the Weird, the Wild and the Wicked, Siobhan Muir's corner of the web.Go check out the winner and the other great entries.


******
Here's my entry:  This week's prompt was "Right now, I’m not so sure."



Unprepared

We thought we were ready. We’d been preparing for this for months. Every stage had been carefully researched and planned. We’d committed ourselves to this course of action with complete confidence, certain we hadn’t overlooked a single detail.

There’s an old saying, that no plan survives contact with the enemy. I should have remembered that one. I should have had it emblazoned on the wall in big letters. It’s too late now. There’s no going back. We’re both exhausted. Neither of us has eaten properly in days. My thoughts are thick and my body moves slowly, and I swear I have aged years in the past few weeks. But we can’t stop now. We’re starting to see progress. Small changes that we can only pray are the first signs of better things to come.

It all seemed so simple in the beginning. It was a natural progression after all. Nothing we couldn’t handle. Right now, I’m not so sure. This wasn’t the way it was supposed to be. This was supposed to be a time of joy and love and wonder. I stare down at the source of my confusion and wonder how we’re going to survive the coming months.  Two sets of cloudy blue eyes stare back at me. Twins. That sure wasn’t part of our plan. I stifle a yawn and stagger to the kitchen in search of coffee. The enemy was awake, and soon they’d be demanding their next meal.


243 words








No comments:

Post a Comment