Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Musings on smartphone ownership


Yes, I did it. I succumbed. I own one of the above and I've had it within twenty feet of my person for most of the past two weeks. (not including the times I forgot it at home...sigh)

It's not as bad as I was expecting it to be, at least not so far. I've managed to keep the app count reasonable, there are only 3 games on it, two of which I only have because friends insisted I "needed" them. I've not yet started taking pictures of random things and posting them to Facebook or twitter, but the thought has crossed my mind, only to be quickly squelched before I take my first steps down a path I don't want to be on.

It's only been two weeks, but I am already starting to understand the addictive nature of these handheld sources of information and entertainment. When the email notification chimes I want to reach for it instantly, and I find myself picking it up despite not needing to look up anything, or god forbid, actually use it to call someone. I'm keeping it in a drawer to recharge, making sure I can't hear its siren song of notifications and updates while I sleep, because I need REM sleep more than I need to know that my Facebook friends from the other side of the world are awake and posting.

I'm slowly adjusting to having a phone/computer with me at all times, but I am fighting hard to make sure that's just a tool, and not a shiny distraction. So far, so good.  Now I just need to stop checking Facebook every 30 minutes and maybe I can get this book polished up and submitted.





No comments:

Post a Comment