Monday, March 25, 2013

Flash Fic post - a wee bit late



Siobhan Muir's flash fic contest was on Thursday, but I spent my weekend buried in rewrites and edits (and banana bread baking) and forgot to post my entry, which scored an Honorable Mention.

The prompt: "Any questions?"

The Tale....


Sacrifice

“…and they’re not to ask any questions? None?”

“None. They wanted information, so I’m going to give it to them. But the first one to ask a question gets be charged with treason. You make it very clear to them this isn’t about the public’s right to know. This is about making sure that the three-hundred million souls currently inhabiting this country are still breathing in twenty-four hours.”

“I’ll see to it.” The Press Secretary peeled off from the group and nearly sprinted down a side hallway. I didn’t envy him his job. Then again, none of us had easy jobs these days. Funny how a few space craft arriving in near-earth orbit changed things.

“Travis, walk with me.” Oh joy, my turn to have some face time with our Commander-in-Chief. The others slowed, giving us a few feet of space. An illusion of privacy, but appreciated nonetheless.

“Yes, sir?”

“Anything?”

“Nothing worked. We tried everything we could think of including a small nuke. Didn’t even mark the paint job.”

“Jesus. You’re telling me there’s no other choice?”

There it was, the question I’d been dreading. I took my time answering it, savoring my last seconds before I damned my soul to hell. “We’re going to have to comply with their demands, sir. Sacrifice a few to save millions.”

“No.” He shook his head and I felt the first glimmer of hope I’d had in days. “If that’s the price for our continued existence, I won’t pay it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment