Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Edits, egos and a small reveal



As you may have guessed from this post’s title, I got back my final edits for Eternal Bonds today. I was pleased both with the level of attention the copy editor displayed in catching my errors, and in the fact that all in all, there weren’t too many. But in order to find that out, I had to open the damned word document, and let me tell you that’s not easy.

Remember back in school when the teacher handed back your assignment face down and you had that moment of dread before you turned it over to see what your mark was? Maybe you were the “turn it over right away” sort, or maybe you stared at it in panic for a long time before you could bring yourself to learn the truth. I was always the latter, dreading the moment of truth. What if I sucked? What if my manuscript was so covered in corrections it looked like it had been in a Skittles factory explosion?

Being a published writer means opening yourself up to critique and criticism, but that doesn’t mean we’re masochists. I’m not the only one who finds edits hard on the ego, but it is the best way to see exactly where you’ve gone off the rails. Comma splices, dialog tag errors, too much tell and not enough show, or occasionally an entire passage that really shouldn’t exist. It’s powerful feedback, and one I am grateful for, but it still took me an hour before I was able to take a deep breath and actually look at manuscript. Yep, I’m a wuss.

So tonight I will pour myself a drink, sit down and go over every typo, repeated word and you’re/your screw up one at a time and make sure that I learn everything I can, then send it back and start the process over again, likely soon.


Why soon? Because I have not one, but two books currently submitted for consideration!  Blind Bet, and Breaking Point. Yep, there you go, I finally gave you the name of my book in the ongoing “super sekrit project.”  Hopefully I’ll have more to share with you soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment