Monday, June 17, 2013

Eternal Bonds snippet

The countdown to release day is on!  To whet your appetite, here's another snippet from Eternal Bonds, coming July 2nd. 

* * * *

Jared answered Duncan's call with a sleepy drawl of, “You had better be lying in a ditch somewhere right now, more than a little bit dead. Do you have any idea what time it is?”

Seventy-six years they’d been together and Jared still complained every single morning. “It’s only an hour before my shift ends, and is that any way to talk to your employer? Get up, Jared, I need you,” Duncan barked into the phone, keeping his voice low enough there was no chance it would disturb Tabi.

Instantly the voice on the other end of the line was all business. “What do you need? Are you alright?”

“I’m fine, but one of the hospital employees was just attacked by another vampire.

Jared sighed and then asked, “Do you need me to help you deal with the body?”

“No. Whoever her attacker was they left her alive, but weak.  I need to take a better look and I can’t do that here. I’m bringing her home.”

“Here?” Jared choked. “You never bring anyone here. Ever. What aren’t you telling me? And who the hell would be so ballsy as to hunt in your own backyard?”

“I’m not sure what’s going on yet, or who’s involved, but I’m not happy, that’s for damned sure. As for why I’m bringing her home…”  Duncan sighed and scrubbed a hand over his stubbled jaw.  “They went after Tabitha, and apparently the two of you have something in common.”

Jared was silent for a moment and then swore out loud as he worked out what the problem was. “Tabitha, the one you’ve been mooning after like a pole axed steer for the past year, that Tabitha? And you can’t wipe her memory?”

Duncan sighed as he recalled the strength of her will as he tried to get her to go to sleep.  “I could barely put her under at all, and apparently neither could whoever attacked her.”

“I’ll get one of the spare bedrooms ready. Congratulations, after all these years we’re finally going to have a house guest, maybe now you’ll stop being such a grouch.”

“I am not a grouch, thank you. I’m a bloody saint, putting up with the mouthiest man—“

“You call me your man servant and you’ll be heating your own meals for a month.  And you’ve been damned grumpy ever since you laid eyes on Tabitha and decided you weren’t going to sully up her pretty little world with your issues, so quit denying it. Just bring her here and we’ll figure it out, boss.”

“Make sure you double check the wards on the windows and doors too, will you. I’m pretty certain they’re going to be tested soon.”

“You got it. See you in thirty minutes.”  Jared paused and then added, “Have you eaten tonight?”

“A few hours ago, I’m fine.”

“Right. And the smell of her blood in your car isn’t affecting you at all. I’ll make sure there’s a hot meal waiting for you here.”

“Thanks.”

“Just don’t eat her on the way home. I’m looking forward to having someone around here who actually appreciates my cooking.”

“She’s not staying with us long, so don’t you go getting attached.” Even as he said it, Duncan knew he was fooling himself. If he had his way, Tabi would be staying forever.

“That’s what you said about me, boss, and I’ve been here seventy-five years now.”

“Seventy-six to be exact. And that’s precisely my point. I do not need another pain in the ass human cluttering up the place. One of you is more than enough, thank you.”

“Whatever you say, boss. See you soon.”


“I’ll be there before your espresso is finished.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment