Friday, July 26, 2013

Deja Doh!

Deja Doh: A highly technical term used to describe the moment when a writer realizes that they have inadvertently duplicated a line/description/nickname from another book in their new manuscript.

I had an attack of Deja Doh yesterday, and it was a doozie. I am in the homestretch with the next book in the Kismet Cove series, and I had to go back to the first book to make sure I had remembered a certain detail correctly. That quick check turned into a "oh hell no," moment as I realized that I had two love scenes in two different books, written seven months apart, and yet somehow I had managed to use the same lines of dialogue in both stories. A frantic scan of some of my other books told me the repetition contagion hadn't spread outside the series (thank goodness.) Now, I haven't read Riptide since I finished editing it back in March of this year, and yet somehow my brain had managed to mirror an entire conversation, almost word for word, in the same setting. 

This is the same brain that couldn't remember all the details of the book, which is why I was re-reading part of it in the first place. I suspect this is the same class of grey matter malfunction that has us walking into a room and forgetting why we are there, or buying milk at the store three trips in a row because we've forgotten we remembered to buy it the last time. Whatever it was, I'm glad I caught the duplication, but it tells me that it's inevitable that some day, in some book, I'm going to repeat myself again, and not catch it. When that day comes, I will be handing out cookies to anyone who catches my mistake. 

And now, I'm off for lunch. At least I will be...if I remembered to pack it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment