Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Where did Summer go?

I'd like to filing a report for a missing season. Summer seems to have disappeared, at least in my part of the world. The leaves are starting to change, the breeze is no long balmy and rich with the scent of freshly mowed grass. Even the teenager girls teetering down the street in their heels and micro mini-skirts are looking downright chilly. It's not even September yet! I'd like a few more weeks of blue sky and sunshine before I have to say good bye for another year.

Don't get me wrong, I love Autumn. Harvest moons and crisp leaves, Halloween (go figure) and best of all, casseroles and soups in the slow cooker. Summer is for salads and hummus and fresh fruit, but when it cools off I get to dust off the slow cooker and start making my meals for the week in one pot, and filling the house with incredible aromas while I'm doing it.

Waking up this morning to discover it was time to drag the comforter back onto my bed (at least for now) got me thinking it was time for soup, and so I'm going to share one of my favorite recipes. It's tasty, it's easily modified to whatever your personal tastes are, and the basic ingredients are easy to find.

Kale, Sausage and White Bean soup



2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 package italian sausage (I use mild, but that's just because I'm a spice wimp)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, chopped, about 8 to 10 cups chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 ounces) white beans, such as Great Northern, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preparation:

You can either slice the sausages into medallions or remove the meat from the casing and crumble it. Your choice.

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and sausage. Sauté, stirring, until onion is just tender and the sausage is browned. Add to slow cooker.

Add the rest of the ingredients and then cook for 3.5-5 hours on high or 6-7 on low. If you prefer your kale chewy, just hold off throwing it in until the last hour or so of cooking. (longer if you cook on low)


That's what I'm going to be making this weekend!  At least it will be unless the sun comes back out.

If you have any favourite fall recipes, feel free to share them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment