Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Holiday Recipe - Spinach Dip!

The holidays are approaching at warp speed. (But you didn’t need me to tell you that!) This weekend I started the holiday baking and grocery stocking up to prepare for making a few of my family’s favourites, and I thought I’d share the recipe for what we’ll be enjoying this Christmas Eve. (And then again on New Year’s Eve with friends)

Last year I posted my Brussell Sprout and Bacon recipe, so this time I thought I’d go with something a little different.

* * * 



When I was a little girl, my Grannie always baked up a storm for the holidays. She made cookies and shortbread and plum pudding that she made in batches and drenched with Brandy several times over the course of a year. Oh those were good (and highly flammable.) The other thing she made for every Christmas Eve was a spinach dip served in a round loaf of sourdough bread. That recipe, and the sacred duty of presenting one to my family each Christmas Eve, is now mine.

You’ll need:

1 package of Knorr Vegetable Dry soup mix. (I’ve tested other brands, this is by far the best)
2 cups of sour cream (Yes, you can use no fat or lite.)
1 cup mayonnaise. You want the real thing for this, not Miracle whip.
1 package frozen spinach, chopped and squeezed dry. (but uncooked)
1 can water chestnuts (sliced) You’ll be dicing them & starting sliced is easier.
1 round loaf of sour dough bread. (or 2 if you want to have a lot of bread for dipping!)

In a large bowl:
Mix the sour cream and mayonnaise together until thoroughly blended.
Add the soup, mix again.
Add the spinach and the diced water chestnuts. Stir into dip.
Cover and leave in the fridge for at least 8 hours. You want to give the ingredients time to meld. It is FAR better if you give it overnight. I usually make this the night before.

Just before serving. Carve the top off the loaf and hollow it out. Chop the top and “bread guts” into finger sized dipping units.
Fill the loaf with the dip and serve.

If you want a variety of dippers, raw veggies work well, and so do Wheat Thin crackers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment