Monday, September 22, 2014

Musings on carbs, calories and...hot flashes?



A few years ago I was eating healthy, swimming and walking, and all was well in my world. I'd defeated all my cravings, found a lifestyle that worked for me, and was convinced I would be able to keep this up for the rest of my life. Then I got sick. Chronic pain, insomnia, the side effects from narcotic level pain meds...none of these things are conducive to eating well or exercising. It took nearly two years for me to get a diagnosis and find a successful treatment. By then, all my healthy habits had been tossed out the window. I was going to have to start all over again.

Over the course of this summer, I've been eating "better." Not brilliant, mind you, but better. It was a good start. A week ago, I switched to a low carb lifestyle. I'm coping, better than I expected actually. I am not calling this a diet, because diets end and and have more cheating than most celebrity marriages. Nope. This is a lifestyle. In it for the long haul, with good days and bad days. (And a vacation in Vegas in two months that totally isn't going to count at all, nope.) I'm already feeling the effects, more energy, good mood, all the good stuff that comes with positive eating habits. I'm also experiencing something new. Ketosis induced hot flashes.


Seriously. That's a thing. It's very real, and it meant that I spent last night writing with an ice pack on my head, wearing capris and a tank top, with all the windows wide open and guzzling water. And it went on for hours. On the plus side, it's an indication that my body has switched from burning sugar to burning fat. I can put up with a lot if it means the new eating habits are doing the trick. (I may need more ice packs though...)

Sometime soon, my building's elevator is going down for extensive repairs. Given that I live on the top floor, this means that the next stage of getting healthier will be hiking my fanny up and down the stairs for a few weeks. By the time the elevator is back online I'm hoping to be a few pounds lighter, and a whole lot fitter. Writing books is one of the joys of my life, but it doesn't do much for the figure...apart from helping it expand.



I



No comments:

Post a Comment