Wednesday, January 21, 2015

...In which I post about one of my geeky joys.

My cousin, Wally Hayes, is a Master Bladesmith. (Which I happen to think is one of the coolest job titles on the planet.) 

I've coveted his creations for years, but it wasn't until very recently that I finally got my wish. Right now, he's forging me a Damascus steel sword of my very own, and I am dying to show off the "in progress" pictures.

These are the most adorable swords you have ever seen. Yes, adorable. Because while they are beautiful, hand crafted weapons, they are also itty bitty. You could outfit an army of samurai squirrels with these babies.

 These are some of his other creations. 

Admit it. They're cute!


Because he's customizing mine, I got to pick out a few elements, including the Damascus steel and the fact the guard is actually going to be purple. (my favourite colour.)  Behold, my baby. 




Waiting for heat treatment

Behold the purple guard & the stunning pattern on the blade


Right after I posted this, Wally sent me a picture of my finished sword! It's gorgeous, isn't it?






No comments:

Post a Comment