Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Conventions & carbs and why these two topics are related.

I am not a slender woman. Willowy is not a word anyone would use to describe me. I've come to accept that no amount of diet, exercise or voodoo is going to transform me into a size six, and most days I'm okay with that. My goal is to be healthier, not necessarily skinnier. 

Or that was the goal until I started booking conventions. Did I mention I'm going to be in Atlanta this August? *bounces and grins* I'll be going to Authors After Dark, as an attending author, no less. With swag and books and every intention of having an amazing time. 

Now that I've booked that flight,  it's all about reducing the curves. Why the change? Airline seats.

Oh sure, it looks spacious now...no people, drink carts or luggage!

I live on an island off the Canadian west coast. Unless I'm travelling to Vancouver or Seattle, there's only one mode of transportation that will get me to my destination in twenty-four hours or less: a plane. (Even then, the twenty-four-hour thing is iffy. I've seen a number of flights that take 24-36 hours, and the destination is in North America. If I can fly to England faster than I can get to New Orleans, something's screwy with the system.)

In the case of Authors After Dark, I will be travelling more than three thousand miles away. I leave at "it's still dark o'clock" and arrive in the evening. That means I'm going to be spending a great deal of time  with my curves crammed into an airline seat. When it comes to airplane real estate, inches count. Hell, every centimeter counts. (Yes, I just mixed metric and imperial measurements, My editor would lose her mind.)

With less than two months left before takeoff, I've found new motivation to reduce the carbs, up the exercise and pretend that chocolate doesn't exist. 

To that end, I've been exploring new recipes, and this one is a winner.



Eggplant Lasagna-style Casserole

Eggplant, fresh, 2 medium/large, unpeeled sliced 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick

1 lg can Tomato sauce or your favorite pasta sauce.

Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese or cottage cheese. (1 cup ish)

Shredded Parmesan Cheese (to taste, I tend to go light on this)

Shredded cheese (I cheat and use a bag of mixed cheeses, usually provolone, white cheddar and mozzarella)

1-2 lbs Lean ground meat. (chicken, turkey or beef, whatever your preference)

large slow cooker (6 1/2 quart)

**please note I have kept the measurements general, you can tweak this up or down as needed depending on how many people you’re feeding and if you love leftovers as much as I do.


Directions

Brown meat and set aside

spray cooker with pam olive oil

Add thin layer of sauce to bottom of slow cooker

First Layer: egg plant slices

Second Layer: Meat

Third Layer: Sauce

Fourth Layer:  ricotta/cottage cheese mixture (lightly sprinkle with shredded Italian cheese/parmesean cheese)

Repeat layers and finish with any remaining sauce and top with cheese.

cook for approx four  hours on low (depending on your slow
cooker)




No comments:

Post a Comment