Saturday, December 26, 2015

Crazy Canuck Blog Hop



Oh, Canada. Land of hockey, snow, and incredibly polite people who say "eh" a great deal. At least, that's the stereotype. Those of us who live in the "Great white north" know we're more than the sum of our sterotypical parts. 

I am truly lucky to be able to travel as part of my job as a writer, and there are two things I've discovered. One, there are still people outside of Canada who believe there's a four-foot snow drift that starts on the Canada/US border (Which is guarded by Mounties in their red serge uniforms, of course.) The other is that there are a surprising number of Canadian writers out there, and I keep finding more with every convention I attend.

I write in the romance genre, and I have a theory that the high volume of steamy romance writers in Canada has to do with our long, cold,winter nights. We have to stay warm somehow, and writing hot romances certainly works for me. (Fuzzy socks also work. I'ts also possible I have a fuzzy sock addiction...please don't judge me too harshly.) 

I'm writing this on the eve of the longest night of the year. This meant that while there was techinically a sunrise, in reality today started out dark, damp, and dismal, lightened slightly to "greyish twilight," and then faded back to dark, dank, and dismal again. To escape the darkness I lose myself in stories. Sometimes for only a moment or two, sometimes for hours. There are books in every room of my home, along with two e-readers and an app on my phone. Books are my gateway to other places, both real and imagined and I don't go very far without one (or more.)

Of course, when I'm not reading I'm writing stories of my own. From contemporary suspense to science fiction and fantasy, I've always got a book in progress and a half-dozen characters chatting away inside my head. 

If you want to know more about this crazy Canuck author, please wander around the website, check out my books, or even sign up for my newsletter.


I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

~Susan


Grand Prize Giveaway: 


Digital copies of a book from each participating author including:

Altering Authority by Ashley Dooley
Dead and Kicking by Lisa Emme
Something in the Air by Marie Landry
Magic Resistant by Veronica DelRosa
The Naughty List by Cori Vidae
Firefly: Ice Born by P.M. Pevato
Thirteen by Shannon Peel
Enemy Within by Marysol James
Questing for a Dream by P.D. Workman
Vice by Rosanna Leo
Lakeshore Secrets by Shannyn Leah
Guarding Midnight by Kacey Hammell
3013:Renegade by Susan Hayes
The Raven Room by Ana Medeiros
Alien Next Door: Complete Series by Jessica E. Subject
Slow Ride Home by Leah Braemel
One Gold Heart by Sadie Haller
Unconditional Devotion by Kayleigh Malcolm
Festive Persuasion by Charlene Roberts
Two $10 gift cards for Chapters-Indigo



5 comments:

  1. I recently discovered author Susan Hayes at a conference in Atlanta. She is a Canadian author who lives 165 miles from me but I had to travel 2900 miles to find her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the funniest thing, ever discovering we were both from the island, Christi!

      Delete
  2. I am lucky to have found so many great Canadian authors - I could never pick one favourite! Susan Hayes, Allyson Young, Opal Carew, Susan Lyons Fox, Jacqui Nelson, Sarah Castille...

    ReplyDelete
  3. my fave author is Linwood Barclay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post. Thanks for participating! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete