Monday, February 1, 2016

A little sunshine is a wonderful thing



I live in a gorgeous part of the world. It's lush and green and the ocean is never more than a few minutes away. The problem with living in paradise? (Apart from the fact it's one of the most expensive places to live in all of Canada?) 

The rain. 

From late October until the end of February the sun is often shrouded by dark clouds and the rain can be a constant thing. By Canadian standards the weather is downright balmy, but the damp seeps into your bones and the grey days start to take a toll on your psyche. There were days in December and January so dark I started joking that no one could tell if the sun had actually come up at all. 

After a few months it starts to wear on the soul.

Today, the sun is shining and I can hear the birds singing outside my office window.  The world looks bright and new again. It's amazing how quickly the soul lightens when the sun comes out after so many days of dreary darkness. Will it last? No. It's too early for Spring to arrive just yet, but it serves as a joyful reminder that the grey days of winter are coming to a close. 

I laugh more when the sun is shining. I sing in the shower and dance when no one is watching. The light renews me and makes it easier to wake in the morning and face the day. 

Tomorrow the rain will likely be back again, but the sun has already worked its magic. I'm recharged, ready and smiling. All thanks to a little sunshine and birdsong. 

Whatever the weather or season is where you are, I hope there's a sunbeam to lighten your day. 


1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way today as we had a lovely sunny day here up-Island, too. Was driving home after work with my sunglasses on (it wasn't dark yet!!), looking at our lovely ocean and my spirits were lifted. A little bit of sunshine does the soul good :)

    ReplyDelete